State Rep. Shannon Erickson, R-Beaufort, received a perfect rating from the S.C. Business & lndustry Political Education Committee for the 2012 legislative session.
Erickson was one of just 19 S.C. House members to receive the “100” rating from the pro-business group and the only member of Beaufort County’s delegation to receive the perfect score. Last year, she received a “97” from the nonprofit, nonpartisan group, which has compiled the ratings since 1985.
For receiving a percent score, Erickson and the 18 other legislators have been deemed “Champions of Free Enterprise.”
In a news release, the group says it arrives at its ratings first by determining whether a bill is positive or negative for business then tracks how each legislator votes. Legislators also get consideration for sponsoring bills seen as good for business. The relative “weight” of each bill compared with others under consideration is also a factor in the rating.
The relative strength of business and industry in a particular district is also listed alongside each legislator. That score, also on a 1 to 100 scale, is compiled after applying “numerous demographic variables and algorithms.”
How did other Beaufort County legislators perform this term, at least according to BIPEC?
* State Sen. Tom Davis, R-Beaufort, received a 65 rating in 2012 and an 87 in 2011
* State Sen. Clementa Pinckney, D-Ridgeland, received a 42 rating in 2012 and a 34 in 2011
* State Rep. Curtis Brantley, D-Ridgeland, received a 39 rating in 2012 and a 51 in 2011
* State Rep. Bill Herbkersman, R-Bluffton, received a 71 rating in 2012 and a 74 in 2011
* State Rep. Kenneth Hodges, D-Green Pond, received a 42 rating in 2012 and a 59 in 2011
* State Rep. Andy Patrick, R-Hilton Head Island, received a 93 rating in 2012 and an 80 in 2011